Proposition 8

10.11.08






I believe nothing, everything is sacred. I believe in everything, nothing is sacred.


~ Tom Robbins


I'd like to go on the record in regards to Proposition 8.

Obviously, I've been very pleased with the outcome of the U.S. presidential election. However, being one who has many gay friends and acquaintances it troubles me that we still don't believe in equal rights and privileges for all.

It may only take time. It may be unpopular with the majority...but I don't care. If two men or two women want to make their union legal what's the big deal? We're talking about a legal union. Religious unions and ceremonies can be left for the churches, synagogues, and centers to decide. That is why we supposedly have a separation of church and state.

I remember having an honest discussion with one of my friends, who happens to be gay, a while back, and he told me that he would never wish being gay on anyone. However, he knew at a very young age that he was different, and the pain of suppressing his feelings carried more weight than trying to fit into a mold that wasn't true.

Really, at the end of the day, who are we to judge?

I don't care how you slice it, or dice it, people are born this way. Why deny a group of people the chance to celebrate love, union and commitment if they so choose?

Simply put, there are many shades of gray. Yeah, we may feel comfortable with making every issue black and white...but the world doesn't work that way.

Never has, never will.

2 Insightful Comments:

Tracy said...

YES! I am so happy to hear someone say "They are born this way" because They ARE!
I know this to be true, and I can say this because I am the mother of a gay son and my brother (and i am adopted remember) is gay as well..he has been with his partner for 30 years now. But my son WAS born this way..he did not choose to be gay, he just is, because that is how he came to us.
We are very accepting of how others choose to live their lives..who are we to Judge? How can we say what is right and what is wrong if we arern't walking in their shoes, and cannot feel what they are feeling?
Live and Let Live..and Be Happy!
Prop 8 should have been voted in for equality for one and all. I hope one day it can be.
xoxo

peaceloveyoga said...

Amen to that. It nice to hear your perspective as a mother of a gay son. Thank you.

 

PEACE LOVE YOGA © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger