Yoga Props

30.11.08



Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~
Rumi



Last Thursday, I was invited to a yoga and fitness supply company headquarters in Tainon, Taiwan. I met the president a while back, and he told me I must come and tour his factory sometime. We exchanged information, however I never expected any follow through.

I've come to the conclusion that to run any type of business, or at least to the magnitude of this gentleman, you must have a tireless enthusiasm and passion. No doubt. Yes. I believe that's needed beyond anything else...even intelligence...for if you have an unlimited source of energy, you can convince just about anyone to come aboard and join you, if you're lacking in any one area.

The list of clients ranged from Target, T.J. Maxx, and Wal-Mart, to Danskin, Ativa, and QVC. To name a few.

I was shown a whole array of yoga props and baubles. He sincerely asked and valued my opinion. At first, I felt a bit uncomfortable, because every item displayed he'd beam and smile as if it were dipped in gold. I dunno...I didn't want to burst his bubble. Not that I could. But, I felt like I would be naming his baby ugly if I didn't like something. Ya know? Anyway. I was pretty tactful at first, and then I thought I'd be doing him a disservice if I wasn't honest.

I gave a Hell No on a view things...he respected it.

The funny thing is, the more I do yoga the less yoga stuff I feel I need. Of course, with Ashtanga props are out. But, if I could get away with doing yoga without a mat, I'd be cool. However, that wouldn't feel so good on the body. I prefer no mysore rug too, unless there's an avalanche of sweat falling from my body and it can't be helped.

It's interesting how material yoga is becoming. It's a big business.

I was shown one item that looked more like some weird massage device. The Pres. wanted me to come up with a name for it. I was a bit taken a back. I clarified...you want me to come up with a name? Yes!...he told me...but it must have yoga in the name, I can charge more money.

Oh my. I was at a loss for words.

After viewing all the samples, he continued with the tour...to then, low and behold, somewhere in the depths of his office he had a studio for producing fitness DvDs. Wow. I didn't see that one coming. He looked at me...yes, you come sometime, make video. Then, I quickly pitched him my idea of doing a yoga, pilates, tai-chi hybrid workout video. Hahahahaha. Just kidding! Puh-lease!!

At any rate. It was a good time. I appreciated the invite...and if anything, I've made a new friend and contact.

You can never have too many of those.

5 Insightful Comments:

(0v0) said...

This is so funny.

And you're not kidding about the whole extreme positive emotion (on a level of religious zeal!) that can be seen in successful CEOs. I do some CEO interviews and factory visits for my research, and have been in these kinds of situations, not knowing how much to play along. :)

peaceloveyoga said...

Must be some interesting research. Funny, I have 3 emails from him sent today!!!...he wants some follow through...wow...how can I say no?

Turbo personality. Good person though. Just intense beyond belief.

DMartini said...

:D a funny story... It is a good naming, though: material yoga. And yes, the western disease has reached yoga, too: the art that requires practically nothing else, but your whole self (ok, and a mat, perhaps). Yet, in commercials I find better-bigger-softer mats, handgrips, balls, and God knows what else... So, the story just goes on: buy something and you will be better :D

Tiffany said...

So when should we start filming? I'll be your spokesperson, we can do private *wink wink* screenings in Mysore.


hahahaha j/k

peaceloveyoga said...

Tiff!!!

You can't let our secret out just yet.

Hahahahahaha. Funny stuff.

 

PEACE LOVE YOGA © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger